July 16, 2014

Style Like U

So with starting to keep up with my blog more, I realized I had started to forget why I was blogging in the first place. I felt like I was falling in line with other bloggers (which isn't a bad thing unless you're trying to stand out). I realized I've been so heavily influenced by them since I started blogging that I had forgotten where I started.
The first person who really inspired me with her style was Zoe from Girl with the Flower. She has this "I wear what I want" attitude about her style and she just does her. She's been featured in Teen Vogue and has a collaboration with Candies (not the Khol's brand) because she wears what she loves. She's part of the reason I started my blog. A year and a half later, I realized I've gotten caught up in "being a blogger" and forgotten that I have my own voice.

I was reminded that I had forgotten about my style voice when I came across Stylelikeu on YouTube. I don't remember how I found them. I think another blogger had posted about them or they were on Fashionista.com or something, but I'm not entirely sure. I have been addicted to their videos for about the past week or so. The mother and daughter duo who make the videos feature people from all walks of life with their own unique style. They interview them and have them show off a few outfits that they would wear. The first video of theirs I watched was so inspiring, and I realized I had started feeling generic and safe. it reminded me that I really needed some time to reevaluate myself and my blog.
I go to college in a small town and I grew up in the suburbs of the South. It's not exactly commonplace for a girl to dress out of the box here. The fact that I wore heels to school most days surprised people, let alone my sky blue Litas. Moving to an even smaller place where my sequin jacket attracts stares from everyone was new and slightly off putting. I think it influenced how I eventually let my style go. I realized I hadn't been wearing me for a while, or I at least didn't like the new me I was wearing. I remember the mornings my mom would ask me, "Are you sure you're going to wear that?" and of course I said, "Yeah." There were never any objections after that. I remember in elementary school not being able to dress like the other girls because all I ever got was hand-me-downs from neighbors. My favorite outfit was these purple sweatpants and matching purple top with butterflies. That look just made me so happy and I wore it every time it got washed. I want to get back to wearing clothes that will make people wonder if I'm really wearing that and being surprised that it works. And it will always work because everything works with confidence.

I was wearing an outfit today that I felt embodied this old/new/I have no idea what to call it idea.

I wore these shorts the other day with a comic book top I stole form my girlfriend. She's not getting it back after I was complimented on said outfit. #sorrynotsorry

OMIGOD HOW DID MY HAIR GET THIS LONG?!?! 

I love coming out to read on this hammock when it's not sweltering hot out. 


So this happened after I nearly fell off the hammock... 

Awesome oxfords are awesome.



3 comments:

  1. Sandeep Kaur Sandhu7/16/14, 8:16 PM

    Love your look

    Love

    Can we follow each other on GFC?

    New Post: Sandy Sandhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! Especially the shorts. They're the bomb! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Style StreetStalker7/17/14, 5:36 PM

    Oh So Cool!!!!

    SSSx

    www.stylestreetstalker.com

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate all comments! If you leave your link, I will visit your blog :)